Wednesday, December 01, 2004

Our sweet baby Brock Louis was born November 11th 2004. Brock weighted 9lbs. 10 oz. and was 23 inches long. He had a full head of thick black hair. To our surprise Brock was born with a bilateral cleft lip and palate. The first ten days of his life were spent in the NICU and Memorial Hermann of The Woodlands. He also had breathing problems unrelated to his cleft. His lungs kicked in and we took him home November 21st just in time for Thanks Giving.

The hospital sent us home nursing but it was obvious that he was not getting enough to eat. He had lost almost 2 lbs. by the time we were seen at the cleft clinic. He is now eating well from a haberman bottle that is used to feed babies with a cleft. We have chosen to see Dr. Stal and Texas Childrens Hospital. They have a great team and we were very excited to see some of the children that he has "corrected". We are very greatful to have a healthy baby and while we are dealing with his cleft it is not life threatening.

Brock is very beautiful and looks an a lot like older Brother Chase. Chase is adjusting nicely and does not seem to notice his cleft at all. If only everyone could enjoy that kind of innocense. Chase asked me last night how old he was when he had his lip repair. I think he thinks that every baby is born like Brock. He enjoys holding him and rubbing his hair. He comments daily on how soft his skin is.

Check out Brocks Blog to watch his changing smile and updated progress as we get ready to go on this crazy ride.

Tarah

1 Comments:

Blogger We are the Romanski Family. said...

Jodi. I tried to email you and I cannot. I would love to get to know you and Jayden better. Please email me at harat1@yahoo.com. I can't even see a date that your message was left so your little Jayden may already have a new smile. The sore from The Lathem were not that bad. The Orthodontist used to leave alot of the blue rubberbands hanging on (like 5 little circles). One time I asked him to "trim the up" as they were annoying. He told me if he cut them too short they would rub on his lips. Do you think that could be the problem??? Also when they removed the Lathem they closed just the hard palate. All in all four procedures (one more than most doctors) the Lathem, removal of the Lathem and hard palate, lip and nose, and then soft palate. I was concerned about the extra procedure but after listening to the doctors reasons it all made sense to me. He closed the hard palate to assist with eating solid foods. He did the lip when he was older and had a chance to grow some more tissue. Anyway reguardless your son will look awesome one day. Isn't is funny that you just dont notice anymore? I blows me away when some asks about his scars. I dont see them either. We are so lucky in one way and that is the fact that we know with out a doubt what unconditional love is. Please emial me.

Tarah

8:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home